Protect yourself and others
- Avoid coming into close contact with other people, especially if they have acute respiratory infections, keep a distance of 2 metres between you and the person you are talking to, do not shake hands, do not greet them with a hug or kiss.
- Even though it may sound simple, it is essential that you: Wash your hands thoroughly and often with soap and water or hand sanitizer - this is one of the most effective ways of stopping the virus from spreading. You MUST wash your hands after coming into direct contact with someone who is ill or their surroundings.
- Preferably do not touch your face with your hands.
- Cough or sneeze into a tissue and place it in the bin immediately. If you do not have a tissue, sneeze or cough into your sleeve (not your hands).
- If you have symptoms (shortness of breath, cough, fever): stay at home! Do not go out in public! Contact by phone a doctor or a health care institution and ask if you have to be tested. Read the instructions for "self-isolation" (in German only) and follow them consequently.
- Avoid using public transport if possible, particularly if you are a person at especially high risk.
- Wear a face mask if it is not possible to maintain a distance of 2 metres, e.g. in public transport.
- Avoid gatherings of people.
- Do not look after a group of more than 5 children.
- Go shopping outside of busy times or have your shopping delivered.
- Avoid business and private meetings unless they are absolutely necessary.
- Continue to work from home if possible.
- Reduce visits of family members, friends and acquaintances in institutes such as care and nursing homes as well as facilities for people with disabilities. During visits strictly follow the rules for behaviour and hygiene.
How do I wear a face mask or cloth face covering correctly?
How do I use a face mask correctly?