The Government approves 10 million francs from the crisis fund to compensate for loss of income in the cultural sector
The Government of the Canton of Basel-Stadt approves payments from the crisis fund amounting to 10 million francs, for people in the cultural sector. These funds will be doubled by the Federal Government so that, in an initial phase, around 20 million francs will be available to compensate cultural businesses and people working in this sector for loss of income.
Overall economic measures that have already been passed, such as those concerning short-time working, are not adequate when it comes to resolving the difficulties currently experienced by people working in the cultural sector and cultural institutions, because special employment and solvency conditions are common in this area.
The Government of the Canton of Basel-Stadt therefore sees the necessity of granting funds to secure livelihoods and cultural diversity, and approves payments from the fund to tackle unemployment (crisis fund) amounting to 10 million francs in an initial phase, in order to implement the federal ordinance on mitigating the economic consequences of coronavirus in the cultural sector. These funds will be doubled by the Federal Government, so around 20 million francs will be available in this initial phase to compensate cultural businesses and people working in the cultural sector in Basel for loss of income, if state measures to tackle coronavirus have had a negative financial effect on them.
This compensation for loss of income should cover 80 percent of financial losses in each case, provided that they have not already been absorbed by other state measures (e.g. short-time working or compensation for loss of earnings via the compensation fund).
The Division of Cultural Affairs of the Department of Presidential Affairs will be taking applications from the middle of April.
In an initial phase, the Federal Council made available a total of 280 million francs for two months as the first tranche, on 20 March. The following three measures will be fully financed by the Federal Government:
- Emergency aid for non-profit-making cultural enterprises (juristic persons) to ensure their liquidity.
- The Division of Cultural Affairs of the Department of Presidential Affairs will also be taking applications for this measure from the middle of April.
- Emergency aid for people working in the cultural sector (natural persons) to cover immediate costs of living.
- Applications for this measure should be made to Swissculture Sociale.
- Financial aid for amateur cultural associations to help with financial losses caused by state measures to tackle coronavirus.
- Applications for this measure are made in collaboration between the Federal Office of Culture and the associations.