Coronavirus: Basel-Stadt tightens cantonal Covid-19-Ordinance
Cases of Covid-19 are rising sharply in the Canton of Basel-Stadt and placing a heavy burden on the healthcare system. To prevent the pandemic spreading even further in the Canton of Basel-Stadt and overwhelming hospital capacity and resources, the Government of the Canton Basel-Stadt is tightening restrictions in the Covid-19-Ordinance. This decision includes several measures that will come into force on Monday, 23 November 2020 and run until Sunday, 13 December 2020.
Unfortunately, the number of cases in the Canton of Basel-Stadt has not fallen since the Covid-19-Ordinance Special Situation came into force at the end of October. The numbers in Basel-Stadt do not concur with the national trend. The past few days have been witness to unprecedented high number of cases, and the pressure on hospital capacity is reaching alarmingly high levels. The actual sources of the infections have not been identified to date, but these are rather widely spread.
That is why the Government of the Canton of Basel-Stadt has decided to implement further measures for a period of 3 weeks. The new measures in the Covid-19-Ordinance will come into force next Monday, 23 November 2020:
- Food businesses are closed to the public. This does not include company and school canteens, soup kitchens, restaurants connected to hotels serving hotel guests, companies delivering meals and take-aways.
- Take-aways must close between 23.00 – 05.00.
- Also affected are gyms, indoor pools, dance studios, fitness and wellness centres, ice sports facilities and the interior rooms of other indoor sports facilities and stadiums - including the cloakrooms. This does not apply to primary school children and pupils at secondary level for alternative classes, or professional athletes.
- Gaming salons and casinos will also remain closed, along with the interior rooms of recreational and leisure facilities (i.e. youth clubs or bowling centres and snooker halls) and adult entertainment services.
- A maximum of 15 people may attend events.
These measures will remain in force until Sunday, 13 December 2020. The Government of the Canton of Basel-Stadt hopes to stop the rise in the number of sources of infection before Christmas and see an ease in the number of new cases by the end of the year.
Other areas of life will continue as before. Retail shops will remain open. Businesses providing personal services involving physical contact, such as hairdressers and massage therapists, can continue to trade as long as they comply with the generally applicable hygiene regulations and safety policies.
The government put together a cantonal hardship package on the 17th of November 2020 for all sectors severely affect by the lockdown regulations, namely the hotel industry, restaurant trade and tourism. Applications may be submitted as of next week. More detailed information to follow.
Amended Ordinance on additional measures of the Canton of Basel-Stadt to combat the Covid-19 epidemic (Covid-19-Ordinance Additional Measures, SG 321.331) (PDF, 121.718 bytes)
Explanations (PDF, 181.951 bytes)