Schools providing compulsory education expected to open from 11 May and secondary schools from 8 June
Department of Education
On 16 April 2020, the Federal Council decided to relax the coronavirus measures in three stages. Facilities providing compulsory education (nurseries, primary schools and secondary schools) are part of the second stage and are expected to be able to open again on 11 May. Some secondary schools [Mittelschulen] and vocational colleges, which come under the third stage, will open from 8 June at the earliest.
The absence of face-to-face teaching in the Canton of Basel-Stadt over a period of several weeks has the following consequences for the individual stages of education:
Certificates and assessment
- There will not be any assessments that are relevant for the certificate and for transitions to the next level of education before the end of the 2019/2020 school year.
- The 2019/2020 school year will be recognised in full, and all pupils will receive a certificate at the end of the school year.
- For nurseries, the certificate shows the duration of distance learning and confirms that the child has attended school. For the 1st - 5th classes of primary school, the certificate shows the duration of distance learning, the assessment of performance between 12 August 2019 and 16 March 2020, as well as career choice. In the 6th class and in all secondary school classes, the certificate shows the duration of distance learning, as well as assessments and career choice from the certificate from the 1st semester. Assessments from the 2nd semester will not be shown.
Transition from primary school > secondary school
- The certificate from the 1st semester is crucial for the transition into one of the three achievement levels at secondary school. The qualification achieved does not have to be confirmed in the certificate from the 2nd semester.
- The voluntary entrance examination will take place immediately before the summer holidays within the normal framework.
Change of achievement level at secondary school:
- There will be no changes of achievement level at the end of the 2019/2020 school year.
Transition from secondary school > advanced secondary schools
- All pupils will definitely be able to enter the advanced secondary school for which they achieved the qualification in the 1st semester. This also concerns the transition to grammar school [Gymnasium] and the Specialised Matura School [Fachmaturitätsschule]. The first certificate therefore does not have to be confirmed.
- Pupils who did not achieve the desired qualification in the certificate from the 1st semester of the 3rd secondary school and who have already registered for the advanced secondary school concerned can gain the qualification by taking an exceptional additional examination at the end of the 2019/20 school year. Pupils who achieve the required results in the written part can definitely enter the advanced secondary school concerned. Pupils who fail to achieve the relevant qualification by just a small margin in the written examinations will get another chance to qualify in an oral examination.
Secondary schools and vocational training
Certificates and assessment
- All apprentices and pupils will receive a certificate that takes into account all proof of assessments during face-to-face teaching and verbal proof of assessments during distance learning.
- At the end of the school year, all apprentices and pupils will move into the next school year. The certificate does not feature any decision on moving up to a higher class.
- For pupils who are due to sit leaving examinations, grades for practical experience will be based on the written proofs of assessment made up to 16 March and on any verbal proofs of assessment during distance learning. In certain cases and for certain qualifications, there is the option of an additional semester examination in the respective subject.
- The Federal Government and the cantons must make a standardised decision for the whole of Switzerland about whether and how leaving and matura examinations can be held, as soon as possible. The Department of Education will provide information about this as soon as this decision is available.
All information is also available at www.coronavirus.bs.ch/en.