Coronavirus bulletin: Current case numbers in Basel-Stadt – information about compulsory mask wearing
Department of Health
As of Friday, 2 July 2021, 10.30, the Department of Health Basel-Stadt had recorded a total of 12,970 positive cases among people living in the Canton of Basel-Stadt since the start of the pandemic, 28 active cases in isolation and 127 people in quarantine. The 7-day notification rate per 100,000 residents is 7 (CH: 7), the 14-day notification rate is 14 (CH: 17). 192,413 vaccinations have so far been administered in Basel-Stadt. 82,750 people have been fully vaccinated with the first and second vaccination. The Department of Health has found that there is uncertainty about compulsory mask wearing. Mask wearing is still compulsory in publicly accessible indoor spaces and in the indoor spaces of public transport.
Occurrence of infection in the Canton of Basel-Stadt: Of the 28 active cases, four residents of the Canton of Basel-Stadt are in hospital. Furthermore, a further five people from outside the canton or abroad are being treated in hospital in the Canton of Basel-Stadt. Of the total of nine people in hospital, three require intensive care.
The total of 12,970 cases of infection in the Canton of Basel-Stadt since the start of the pandemic consists of 12,737 recoveries, 205 deaths and 28 active cases. There have been seven new cases of infection since the last bulletin on Tuesday, 29 June 2021. No further people have died of the consequences of Covid-19.
Current status of vaccinations
As of yesterday Thursday, 01 July 2021, a total of 192,413 vaccinations have so far been administered in the vaccination centre, in the hospitals and by the mobile units in the Canton of Basel-Stadt (total for the previous week: 176,091). 82,750 people have been fully vaccinated with the first and second vaccination (total for the previous week: 71,942).
As of yesterday evening, 3,606 people had pre-registered for vaccination.
For the current week (28/06 to 04/07), 14,836 vaccination appointments were allocated in the vaccination centre (previous week: 15,832).
Compulsory mask wearing
Covid inspections carried out since last Monday have found that customers as well as staff in service businesses are unclear about compulsory mask wearing. The Department of Health Basel-Stadt would like to point out that the Covid-Ordinance Special Situation of 23 June 2021 stipulates the following with regard to compulsory mask wearing:
Compulsory mask wearing applies to all individuals:
- In all publicly accessible indoor spaces. This includes salesrooms (such as shops and shopping centres, exhibition halls), but also service businesses (public spaces of banks and post offices, travel agents and hotels), as well as areas of public administration that are accessible to the public. Compulsory mask wearing also applies to staff in these establishments.
- In the indoor spaces of restaurants when guests are walking from the entrance to their table or going to a buffet or the toilets.
- When travelling in the indoor spaces of public transport vehicles such as trains, trams and buses.
The regulation concerning collection of contact details from one person per group of diners continues to apply to the indoor spaces of restaurants.
The current situation in Basel schools
Primary schools and nurseries (total of 12,814 pupils and 1,906 teachers)
- 3 pupils in quarantine or self-isolation, corresponding to 0 percent.
- 5 teachers in quarantine or self-isolation, corresponding to 0.3 percent.
Secondary schools (total of 4,343 pupils and 650 teachers)
- 2 pupils in quarantine or self-isolation, corresponding to 0.1 percent.
- No teachers in quarantine or self-isolation.
Higher secondary schools and vocational colleges (total of 7,400 pupils and 1,170 teachers)
- 2 pupils in quarantine or self-isolation, corresponding to 0.01 percent.
- No teachers in quarantine or self-isolation.
Please note: No data will be collected for the next six weeks because of the summer holidays.
The rhythm of delivery of data about hospitalisations in connection with Covid-19 is being adjusted and data will only be delivered from Monday to Friday in future. This adjustment is due to the current Covid-19 situation and the falling number of Covid-19 patients requiring hospitalisation. Hospitalisation figures that were recorded on Saturday and Sunday will now be recorded in the system on Mondays and then published.
All other figures will continue to be updated every day on the website www.coronavirus.bs.ch. The latest vaccination figures can be found on the Basel-Stadt data portal.
New statistics about mass testing in establishments and schools are also available on the Basel-Stadt data portal. Vaccination data for the 12-15 years age group can now be seen.