In order to avoid the further spread of coronavirus, contact persons must remain in quarantine for 10 days after their last contact with the infected individual. A test (swab) for the virus is recommended on the 1st day of quarantine as well as a test on the 7th day of quarantine. If you develop symptoms, you should contact your GP by telephone or call the number for medical emergencies, (tel. 061 261 15 15), to see if you need to do a test. Fully vaccinated individuals can due to BAG-recommendation be excepted from quarantine. Also exempted from contact quarantine are persons who have already had COVID-19 and are considered recovered. This applies for six months from the 11th day after the infection was confirmed.
Approved vaccines for exemption from contact quarantine according to the «WHO Emergency Use Listing»:
- Comirnaty® / BNT162b2 / Tozinameran (Pfizer/BioNTech)
- Spikevax® / mRNA-1273 / COVID-19 vaccine (Moderna)
- Vaxzevria® / AZD1222 / Covishield™ (AstraZeneca)
- COVID-19 Vaccine Janssen (Johnson & Johnson)
- SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine (Vero Cell) (Sinopharm / BIBP)
- CoronaVac (Sinovac)
All licensed products of the above vaccines are also approved.
--> Note: For the issuance of a Covid certificate different rules apply.
(cf. Covid certificate)
Quarantine for arrivals:
Currently there are no countries on the list of countries with a variant of concern, accordingly there is no quarantine requirement for persons entering Switzerland.
Finishing quarantine early:
Quarantine can be finished early on the following conditions if a negative test result has been received:
- The individual does not have any symptoms of Covid-19.
- The individual has received a negative result from a Sars-CoV-2 PCR or rapid test with a test date of the seventh day of quarantine at the earliest.
- Strict compulsory mask wearing and compulsory distancing of 1.5 m from other people applies when the individual is outside of their home or accommodation until the end of the original quarantine period. The individual may not participate in activities where they are not able to adhere to these rules (e.g. school, daycare facilities, sport, some work activities).
Attention - for risk areas with Sars-CoV-2 variants of concern, the exemption from the obligation to quarantine do not apply.
If the conditions for ending quarantine early apply, Epi@bs.ch must be notifiedby the individual. The quarantine can end following notification. Individuals do not have to wait for feedback or confirmation from the Department of Health.
Notification of test results will also be sent to the Department of Health of the Canton of Basel-Stadt through official channels by the test centres and will be traced. Contravention (falsification of test results, shortening of quarantine without a negative test) is punishable. For that reason, individuals should keep proof of the negative test result safe until the end of the original quarantine so that it can be produced on request.